Making a Complaint

We regret that you have reason to make a complaint to the Association.

The Association will always require your complaint in writing. Send your complaint directly to us at or by post to:

The Compliance Officer
Federation House
10 Vyse Street
B18 6LT

The NAJ is a trade association and professional body for companies involved in the jewellery industry: manufacturers, suppliers, consultants and retailers. We promote, watch over and advance the interests of such companies who as members are committed to our Customer Charter and Code of Conduct.

In the event that all efforts by our member to resolve a complaint or dispute have been unsuccessful the Association will attempt to mediate a satisfactory outcome which may include a complaints committee/panel appointed by the National Committee to consider the dispute on a completely impartial basis and where possible, recommend a way forward. The Association has no legal sanction; it is not a court of arbitration and has no powers to enforce a settlement. Thus, while the Association will use its best endeavours to mediate and resolve a dispute with the aim of achieving a reasonable outcome satisfactory to both parties, it cannot enforce one. It is expected that members will cooperate with the mediation process and outcome.

The service is strictly based on written correspondence only, and no verbal communication will be entered into once the service is in progress other than in exceptional circumstances. The Association does not deal with the matter of compensation.

When we first receive a complaint we will check that it:

  • Is about a subject and organisation that we can look at
  • Has gone through the right complaints process
  • Has arrived at our office within 12 months of when the issues in your complaint happened
  • Has enough detail and paperwork for us to get to work on it

It's important to note we cannot deal with complaints that are:

  • About issues that happened more than a year ago (unless there are special circumstances)
  • About employment, personnel or most contractual matters
  • The subject of a court case or tribunal
  • Against non-member companies

Who will hear your complaint?

Complaint against Heard by Contact via
A Member Company NAJ Compliance Officer/NAJ CEO/NAJ Chair
A non-Member Company Trading Standards
An employee of the Association NAJ Chair
An NAJ volunteer (while acting in a voluntary capacity on behalf of NAJ) NAJ President
The Chair and Senior Officers of the Association NAJ President
The President of the NAJ NAJ Chair

Complaining about an NAJ member

You can check to see whether a company is an NAJ member with our check a member tool. We hope that it will rarely be needed for you to make a complaint against a member of the Association, however, if you need to do so, this section explains the process to be followed.

Step one: Contact the member

Problems between you the consumer and the company can arise because of misunderstandings or a breakdown in communication, and can often be resolved by direct discussion with the person concerned. If a phone call to the company does not resolve the issue, please write to the NAJ member concerned setting out the problem. Keep a copy of your correspondence for future reference. You may also wish to ask for a face-to-face meeting. Make sure you find out who is the right person to speak to about complaints. Please note that your contract is between yourself and the person or business which issued the invoice/receipt and so you should approach them initially.

Step two: A complaint to the Association

If your own efforts to resolve a grievance directly with our member have failed, then the Association may be able to investigate the matter on your behalf and will use its best efforts to resolve things. You must submit your formal complaint to the Association in writing (letter or email) setting out the details of your complaint. The points which need to be covered are shown below.

Please note that ‘hearsay’ evidence is not acceptable and cannot be taken into consideration, nor will informal second opinions from any third party, whether an NAJ member or not. Make sure you have gone through step 1 before sending anything to us.

When returning your formal letter/email of complaint to the Association, please include copies of all correspondence which have passed between yourself and the member concerned. Your correspondence will be made available to our member and their response made available to you the consumer.

If possible, please include the following information:

  • Name and Address of the NAJ Member 
  • Overall dimension of article
  • Dimensions of interest ie. broken link measures xx or the diameter of the ring is xx size of missing stone if known?
  • Any comment on shape ie. misshapen or knocked
  • Metal what metal has been used and is it hallmarks
  • Photos in .jpeg .jpg or .png format
  • A clear paragraph about the issue no more than 300 words

Check if the Jeweller is a member

Step three: Second Opinion

If appropriate, the Association will arrange for a second opinion/ professional assessment from a suitably qualified individual. A charge may be made for this service, but we will not do this without your approval.


The National Association of Jewellers does not have the authority to order a refund or part refund by the member, irrespective of the outcome of the complaint. Only a court of law has the authority to order any action or payment in connection with a complaint. Citizens Advice, Trading Standards or Consumer Direct can advise you as to your consumer rights with regard to refunds. However, a genuine effort will be made to deal with your problem and achieve a satisfactory solution. Please note that the NAJ complaints procedure may not be used as a precursor to litigation (that is, you can’t use our process to take someone to court).

Most complaints can be resolved through good communication between both parties.

Communicate with the member. If this does not resolve the complaint then: Put your complaint in writing to the business in question. If this does not resolve the issue, then: Put your complaint in writing to the Association enclosing copies of all relevant correspondence. A copy of your correspondence will be sent to the member concerned asking for their response, which will then be made available to you. All correspondence will be considered by the Investigating Officer, the Chief Executive and, when appropriate, the Complaints Committee and appropriate action taken and/or recommendations made. The Association cannot become involved in a dispute where the matter is being dealt with by the courts.

Failure To Resolve A Dispute Using Mediation

The parties may seek resolution in accordance with the Laws of the United Kingdom at any time, however, to do so during the mediation process may cause the process to be suspended.

Breaches Of The Naj Code Of Conduct

In the event it is determined that a member of the Association has breached the Code of Conduct, a complaints committee will consider what action should be taken, which could result in a petition to the National Committee to expel or suspend the member. There is a right to appeal.

Points to be included in a letter of complaint to the NAJ:

  • Your name and full address, daytime telephone number and email address
  • The name and address of the member you are complaining about
  • The date on which the product or service was provided by the member in question
  • The details of your complaint
  • Confirmation that you have taken up your complaint with the member and the outcome

Complaints About The Association Itself

If you have a complaint against the Association itself, please try to speak to the person you have been dealing with, who should be able to help you to resolve the issue. If you are still unhappy, please contact the appropriate person to have your complaint investigated further (see contact table)

Remedies And Sanctions

In the event of an NAJ member being at fault and, where appropriate, they may be asked to address issues regarding best practice including agreeing to staff training or updating their operating procedures.

Sanctions in the event of a serious breach of the Code of Conduct by a member may include temporary or permanent suspension/termination of NAJ membership

Complaints about a non-member

Unfortunately, we cannot deal with complaints against non-members. We suggest you contact your local Trading Standards Department for support.

If you need help making the complaint, contact Citizen's Advice:

We aim to respond to complaints within five working days and to have investigated a complaint within 20 working days.