Member Press Releases

Additional EU exit resources available for NAJ Members

03 Feb 2021

brexit customs border

Supported by British Jewellery and Giftware International (BJGI) – a division of British Allied Trade Federation (BATF) – guidance on customs arrangements, including VAT, duty rates, charges on small packages and import declarations has been published. This has been supplemented with a useful contacts resource, produced to aid members in reaching the most relevant government department for their query.

Download customs arrangements resource

Download useful contacts resource

On publishing the resources, Taran Sahota, international services manager at BJGI said,

“Since the start of January, we’ve continued to support member organisations with their EU exit queries, and commissioned the customs arrangements guide to help members understand the new procedures. We will continue to provide guidance and produce further resources to help members understand the new rules which came in to effect on 1st January 2021”.

Within the latest useful contacts guide, members can approach the relevant government department for support with the following queries:

  • Import/export customs queries for Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Business support
  • Data and intellectual property
  • Importing/exporting to the Republic of Ireland
  • Border movements
  • Classification/commodity codes
  • Technical support
  • General business enquiries (country specific)


Did you know as an NAJ Member you can also register for EU exit workshops, hosted by BJGI?

Register for EX Exit webinar for Giftware and Jewellery Industries 


In case you missed it; Customs planning guidance

Exclusively written for BATF members by Barbara Scott of Customs Associated Ltd, the resource provides sector-specific guidance on exporting from the UK to the EU and importing into the UK.



Frequently asked questions within the resource are presented below.


Do I need an EU EORI?

You will only need an EU EORI if you are going to be the importer into or exporter from one of the EU27 countries, ie if you are making import or export declarations in the EU.


Are Intrastat declarations no longer required?

Intrastat declarations are needed at present to collect statistics on the UK’s trade with our European partners. But this information will in future be collected from the import and export declarations that are made for EU trade.


As exporters will be making customs declarations for goods sent to the EU from 1st January, there will be no need for Intrastat declarations for EU sales. But importers will still need to continue to make Intrastat declarations throughout 2021 for goods arriving from the EU.


Can I claim any duty relief on goods that are returned to me from EU customers?

Yes, you can claim Returned Goods Relief if you are re-importing goods that you originally exported. Normally, you would be required to provide evidence of the original export declaration but it is recognised that goods returning from the EU will not have had an export declaration if they have been sent out before 1st January 2021 and you simply need to hold other documentary evidence that the goods were originally exported from the UK.


Can I still use my current HMRC authorisations?

All current authorisations and approvals, granted under EU customs legislation, have automatically been deemed to be granted under the new UK customs legislation from 1st January. But any approvals that were granted for use across the EU will no longer be recognised by HMRC or the customs authorities in the EU. Any applications currently with HMRC will become UK approvals if issued after 1st January.


Any Binding Tariff Rulings (BTR) issued by HMRC will still be valid in the UK, but not in any other Member State. The UK has begun to issue its own Advanced Tariff Rulings (ATR).


Will rules of origin change?

The rules of origin have not changed but If you currently issue EU origin certificates or EUR 1 forms to your customers, these have now changed: the UK forms are available from your local Chambers of Commerce.

You do not need an EUR 1 to export to the EU.


Will it help me trade with the EU if I am an Authorised Economic Operator (AEO)?

The basic answer is “no” but, under the EU-UK trade agreement, both sides have agreed to recognise traders who have AEO certification, which should facilitate the flow of goods in secure supply chains

Source: The NAj